Best Ice-Cream Cake Recipe!
We have used our ice cream to make birthday cakes for our kids for two reasons. Firstly, well, we make it! and second of all it’s a dense ice cream which results in a creamier texture.
Before you start, its important to think of the flavours you want to include but also consider the colour contrast of the varieties you want as well.
Result: very enthusiastic guests and ….. no leftovers!
Colours & Flavours are key!
What You Need:
- 7.5” (19cm) loose-bottom cake tin (1.8L approx.),
- Mixing bowls,
- Spoon, spatula, palette knife
- Ice cream – 3 x 600ml or 4 x 450ml of ice cream or sorbet,
- If using a sorbet, fold equal quantities of sweetened whipped cream and softened sorbet together. Cream expands when whipped so it’s the equal quantities of the whipped cream you mix with the sorbet.
- Cream and sugar to taste (for decoration) OR Melted Chocolate
- Decorations(eg Sprinkles, etc etc)
Step 1. Soften the first flavour and spread evenly around the base of the loose bottomed tin.
This sounds simple but you will need to be mindful of a few things:
- When pressing/spreading and smoothing - make sure there are no air-pockets at the bottom of the tin.
- Some ice cream will coat the sides of the tin. Make sure to wipe off these bits so that you get very clean lines/divisions between the layers.
- If the ice cream becomes too soft the texture changes.
Step 2. Put tin back into freezer to harden the layer of ice cream
Step 3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 for each variety of ice cream/sorbet and cream you are using.
Step 4. Decorate your cake.
We have chosen 2 methods:
- Spread whipped cream around the cake and pipe rosettes as wished. Include sprinkles
- Spread melted chocolate all over the cake and decorate as you wish
There is also a 3rd method ….. experiment.
We have just tried the following versions
Chocolate, Vanilla, Raspberry Sorbet and Cream, Bubblegum,
Chocolate and Mint, Vanilla, Mango and Cream.
See what you think!
To purchase any of our Boulaban Farm Ice-Creams to make your ice-cream cake you can do so by clicking here